Monday, February 28, 2011

Waffles.....


I simply can't believe that I have never posted this recipe. It re visits our breakfast table weekly and on days like today it even makes it's appearance at lunch time. These also freeze well so if you have extra leftover throw em in a freezer bag once they are completely cooled and just pop em in the toaster when you need them.
I used to own a cheap little $14 waffle maker from wall-mart but over the holidays I purchased this beauty with some gift cards I had received. So worth every penny.... it is simply fantastic. I first bought a Food Network brand waffle maker but it broke on the first waffle I made....can you believe that??? And of course it was on day when we had company for breakfast. I was so mad and took it back. While I was browsing all the different ones they had an older Swedish (how fitting) gentleman chatted me up and recommended that I go to a totally different store and get the round one. At first I dismissed him but then decided to take his advice and I'm glad I did. This thing is AWESOME!!! Now don't get me wrong my little $14 waffle maker did the trick for many years and it was fine but this baby makes them nice and thick and fluffy and cooks them eavenlly and the timer works just right.

I have been using this recipe for a couple years now. I keep meaning to try something new....different....but sometimes you just don't mess with something that aint broke :)

Waffles

2 cups flour
2 Tbs sugar
1/2 tsp salt
3 tsp baking powder (haha ok a little side note here DO NOT use baking soda like my sometimes so helpful husband did the other day) 
2 eggs seperated
1 3/4 cup milk
1/4 cup melted (cooled) butter
1 tsp vanilla (optional) 

Directions:

 First you want to beat your egg whites with an electric mixer until nice and stiff then set aside. If you have a kitchen aid then while they are beating mix your dry ingredients in a bowl (flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, not soda :) ) If you do not have a stand mixer it's always a good idea to get these mixed before hand. 
Next you want to mix your wet ingredients together (egg yolks, milk, butter, vanilla) Make sure your butter is melted but not hot otherwise it will cook your eggs and you do not want that. I usually melt mine in the microwave and just let it sit out a while. Then add the flour mixture and beat till well combined. About 3 minutes. 
And the last step is to gently fold the egg whites into your batter....there all done. 
Make sure you do not overfill your waffle maker or you will end up with a mess. 
Mine came with a nifty little measuring cup and it ensures that I do not overfill. 
Sometimes I do under fill tho but it's better than a mess. oooo did I mention that this one makes two at a time :) 
 They can't get enough!!!
No this was not our breakfast it was lunch and YES they are still in their jammies!!!! DO NOT judge I am nesting and have been running around like a crazy woman cleaning EVERY nook of our house. They don;t mindandit'sonly been two days and my house is almost all clean now.....wish it meant that this baby would make it's appearance already.
purrrrrrfection..........enjoy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...