These scones are so delicious.....buttery....flaky......soft........flavorful......delicious.....they make me feel warm and fuzzy inside! I have eaten WAY too many of them already today!
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1/2 cup blueberries
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3/4 cup confectioners’ sugar, sifted
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Place flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt in the bowl of a food processor fitted with a metal blade. Process with six 1-second pulses.
- Remove cover of food processor and sprinkle the butter evenly over the dry ingredients. Add the grated lemon zest. Cover and process with 12 1-second pulses.
- Transfer dough to a large bowl. Mix in blueberries with your hands. Add heavy cream and mix with your hands until dough begins to form.
- Gently knead dough by hand until it comes together into a rough ball, about 10 seconds.
- To shape the scones, lightly dust an 8-inch cake pan and press dough into the pan, then turn the dough onto a lightly floured work surface. With a sharp knife, cut the dough into 8 wedges.
- Place wedges on an ungreased baking sheet and bake in preheated oven 12 to 15 minutes or until tops of scones are a light brown. Transfer to a wire rack for at least 10 minutes before serving.
- While the scones are cooling, make lemon glaze. Combine lemon juice and confectioners’ sugar until you achieve a thick, opaque icing. Drizzle over scones.