Friday, July 9, 2010

Blueberry breakfast rolls....

I love summertime and all the fresh fruit available.  They had blueberries at our supermarket on special and of course I had to buy a bunch of the sweet berries. Once again, we love to eat them fresh, but I always like to bake something using fresh fruit so I found a recipe for these HERE. I was a little dissappointed with them though, although I do not think it was the recipes fault. I made the dough late at night and I may have done something wrong, like loose count of flour cups!!!! I think I used way more flour than necessary but they were still good. I love the idea of using blueberries instead of the usual cinnamon roll filling but I do think that next time I will just use my favorite roll recipe that my sister in law shared with me a while back. I will post that whole recipe below. It's a bread machine recipe but I always just make the dough by hand the night before. The recipe below has both the Cinnamon and Blueberry fillings just use one or the other. I also prefer the cream cheese frosting over the vanilla one in the recipe I found.

Cinnabon Cinnamon Rolls (Bread Machine) Recipe

1/4 c. butter, melted
1/4 c. water
1/2 pkg. instant vanilla pudding (1/2 of a 3.4 oz. box)
1 c. milk
1 egg, beaten
1 tbsp. sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
4 c. bread flour (I used regular)
2 1/2 tsp. yeast

CINNAMON FILLING
1/2 c. butter, softened
1 c. brown sugar
2 tsp. cinnamon

BLUEBERRY FILLING
1 pint fresh blueberries
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

FROSTING
4 oz. cream cheese, softened
1/4 c. butter, softened
1 1/2 c. confectioners sugar
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 1/2 tsp. milk

Rolls: Place ingredients in machine following the specifications of that particular machine. Set for dough cycle. After complete on dough cycle, remove from machine and roll out to 17x10" (approx.) rectangle.

Filling: Mix together brown sugar and cinnamon. Spread softened butter over dough. Sprinkle brown sugar and cinnamon mixture over top. Roll tightly from long end, pinching edges closed when completely rolled. Slice rolled dough into 1/2" slices (or larger if a larger bun is preferred). Place into greased cake pans or a cookie sheet. If using cake pans, use 3 9" pans. Let rise until doubled. Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes, until golden. Do not overbake.

Frosting: Spread on very warm rolls. They are best when eaten fresh, but we have found that 10-15 seconds in the microwave rejuvenates them.

Note: You may add chopped nuts with the filling, and use twice the amount of cinnamon.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my! We're going to have to try these! We LOVE fresh blueberries! What a great combo...blueberries and cinnamon rolls! Mmmmm!!! Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...