- 1 3/4 cups gobbetti pasta (or any noodle shape you prefer)NOTE: I used 4 cups of uncooked pasta
- 2 1/2 cups extra sharp cheddar cheese (cubed)
- 2 tablespoons and 1 teaspoon all- purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 2/3 cup sour cream
- 2 eggs that are lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup grated onion
- 1 1/2 cups half and half
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 1/2 cups grated extra sharp cheddar cheese (or your favorite cheese)
Boil the pasta in salted water until tender. Remove and drain. Place the drained pasta into the baking dish of your choice. My mom used a cast iron pan, but you can use a 9×13x2 baking dish or whatever else you like. Mix in the cubed cheddar cheese.
Preheat the oven to 350 F
Take the flour, 1 1/2 teaspoon salt, and spices in a large mixing bowl. Stir them together so that everything is evenly mixed together.
Add the sour cream, and eggs. With a wire whisk mix all ingredients together until mixture is evenly incorporated.
To the mixture, Whisk in the onion, half and half, heavy cream, and Worcestershire until it is thoroughly blended together.
Pour this mixture over the pasta and cheese and then stir everything together. Sprinkle the shredded cheddar cheese on top and then place into the oven.
Put in the oven for 30-35 minutes and then let cool for 10 minutes. The cooling is necessary to allow the mac and cheese to set up.