- 1 cup of beef meat diced into little chunks
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 1 medium sweet yellow onion, chopped
- 1/2 ground oregano
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 2 cups sliced carrots
- Two 14.5-ounce cans petite diced tomatoes, drained
- Three 14-ounce cans fat-free, low sodium beef broth
- One 15.5-ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 bunch cleaned and chopped Kale leaves (about 5 ounces total)
- 1 cup barley
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1-2 tsp. of chili powder (optional if you want to spice things up!)
- Dash of basil to taste
1. Heat oil in large pot over medium-high heat. Add beef to pot & sauté for a couple of minutes, until browned. Add onion oregano & garlic; sauté until softened a bit.
2. Assemble all ingredients in crock pot. Take note that canned ingredients are drained of their juices before being added. Slice greens from stem and cut into 2″ strips. I do this by rolling the large piece and slicing it down like a sushi roll.
3. If you want soup in less than five hours, set crock to high. If you have more time (preferred), set to low and simmer for 6-8 hours.
4. Ladle soup into bowls and sprinkle Parmesan for an extra touch.