Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Salsa

One of the things that I have also gotten from  my mom and dad are tomatoes. Is there anything better than a sun warmed tomato straight off the bush??? I don't believe so!!! Well what do you make with tomatoes???Salsa of course....I've posted the recipe for this salsa on here before!! I did do a few things different again see my notes below!

Salsa

8 cups tomatoes, chopped
5 stalks celery with leaves, chopped
3 medium onions, chopped
2 green peppers, chopped
12 Jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
2 1/2 Tbs cilantro
12 oz tomato paste
4 t salt
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
3/4 cup sugar


NOTES: I can't ever follow a recipe I always have to change something.
I also used:
I head of roasted garlic
I only used 3 Jalapeno peppers ( my hubby does not like it spicy)
I also used black beans and corn in half the batch
I used half lemon half lime
Also added about a Tbsp of fresh parsley

Directions:

Get all the ingredients out and ready and also get the jars all washed and opened so that they are ready to be filled up!
If you decide to use roasted garlic like I did and I recommend you do cuz well come on look at that delicious goodness. Preheat oven to 400 degrees cut the very tops off the garlic head, place in a little baking dish ( I used a bread pan but a muffin pan works GREAT) drizzle with some olive oil so that it's well coated and cover with aluminum foil ( I also added some water to the bottom of the pan like 1/4 inch to keep it moist). Bake for 30-35 min or until it feels soft when you press. Another good sign that they it's done is if the garlic begins to kinda pop out of the shell a little. Let it cool the press the bottom of the shell to pop the yummy garlic out!! Mash it up well with a knife.
I just had to sneak a yellow tomato in too. I love these so much more than the red tomatoes they are not as acidy....is that even a word?!?!!?
Chop up all the veggies and place in a large pan.
Combine the last 5 ingredients in a medium bowl and mix well then pour into all the veggies. Bring to a boil and pour into the jars then close the lids when the salsa is still hot!!! That easy!!!
As you can see here I used corn and black beans in half the recipe. If you choose to do this just can half the batch and place the other half back on the stove add about a cup of canned black beans(washed and drained) and a cup of frozen or fresh corn. Bring to a boil again and place in the jars while still hot and close the lids.

YUMMMMM..................tasty......what I love even more about this recipe is that it's so versatile. I may be making another batch and I would love to add roasted red and yellow peppers. That would really give it a sweet yummy flavor!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...