Monday, May 9, 2011

Lemon Bars....

I'm not sure why I do this to myself. I'm trying to loose the baby weight but then I go and make lemon bars like this that I simply can not resist. SO of course I had one for breakfast with my cup of coffee...sigh....food is my weakness!! I used my Samoa cookie recipe for the crust it's flaky, not too sweet, and delicious.

Cookie:
  • 1 cup softened butter
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 tablespoon milk
Directions:
Preheat oven to 350F.
Cream together butter and sugar in a large bowl. Mix in flour, baking powder and salt at a low speed, next, the vanilla and milk, adding in the milk only as needed to make the dough come together without being sticky. The dough should come together into a soft, pliable ball. Add in a bit of extra flour if your dough seems sticky.

Press the dough into a 9x13 lightly greased baking dish.

Bake cookies for 10-12 minutes, until very lightly golden brown around the edges.

Cool for a few minutes on the baking sheet.


For filling:
6 large eggs
3 cups granulated sugar
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
For garnishing:
About 3 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar

In a large bowl, whisk together eggs and granulated sugar until smooth. Stir in lemon juice and then the flour. Pour filling on top of crust.
Bake until lemon filling is set, about 40 minutes. Let cool to room temperature and then put in the refrigerator for 1 hour or keep at room temperature for 3 hours before cutting. Cut into squares measuring about 2 1/4 inches and dust the tops with confectioners’ sugar.
Planning Ahead: The squares may be made a day in advance, covered, and refrigerated. Bring to room temperature before serving.

2 comments:

  1. i've been trying to lose my baby weight for 40 years!... those lemon bars look fab... where've you been?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kurt LOVES lemon! I'll be adding this to my "to try" list!!! Thanks! They look very yummy!!!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...